Wednesday, November 23, 2011

the run.


I haven't written about the 5k since it happened, probably because I was slightly disappointed with my performance. We arrived back from the concert at about 2 a.m., then woke up at 7 to prepare for the run. I got up, took a quick shower ( I was absolutely freezing), jumped into my running gear and headed out the door. I stopped by Starbucks for a small coffee, and fished around for my 1/2 banana. I was so nervous about the race, and it was so chilly outside! I think I just kind of drove myself nuts. I didn't drink water because 1) I didn't have time and 2) I didn't want to have to pee during the race. That was my biggest mistake. I was very consumed with getting to the location, getting my number on and warming up. 
I concentrated more on warming up my muscles than stretching really well, and I totally paid for it. When the race began I was feeling pretty good! I tried to keep a slow/medium stride for the first mile. After I reached the first mile, something happened. I'm not really sure why, but I'm going to blame it on my attire. I decided to race in: leggings, shorts, under armour shirt, t shirt, north face fleece jacket, and gloves. All of my gear felt wonderful before I started running, but after the first ten seconds my cellphone in my pocket started to feel like a fifty pound weight and my gloves were making my hands sweat buckets! 
And the story continues... 
After the first mile, I got very overheated and sick! I had to stop on the side of the road and vomit :/. I felt absolutely horrible! I walked for a little bit and started jogging again. The rest of the race went pretty slowly, but I did finish!
My total time was 32:00:00. I whole 10 minutes slower than my fiance´ 's time.
I'm proud of myself for finishing the race, but I plan on doing a far better job next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment